Excellent
4.6
325 verified reviews
TrustYou
  • Sights in Karlovy Vary

    Welcome to spa. Welcome to Karlovy Vary!

We recommend to visit

Carlsbad is the world famous spa town with a fascinating atmosphere. The Colonnades encourage for calm walks, wooded hills crisscrossed with paths for active rest and beautifully reconstructed historical building of many architectural styles to the view the heights and of course to taste the unique natural healing resources – mineral springs.

On this page you can familiarize yourself with the most prominent sights of Carlsbad. In the map you can find links to other information and clearly marked hiking paths and how to get to them from the hotel’s entrance.

Hotel Olympic Palace se is situated almost above the spa centre and is an ideal starting point for exploring Karlovy Vary and its beauty. You can reach most of them within a walking distance of about a few hundred metres.

Colonnades & Springs

Parks & Gardens

Monuments & Museums

Views & Towers

The colonnades and the mineral springs

The colonnades and the mineral springs

Mill Colonnade

The largest Karlovy Vary´s colonnade, built of stone in the Neo- Renaissance style, was opened in 1881 and covers five mineral springs. The colonnade attic is completed with allegorical statues representing the months of the year. In the past it became a laughing stock and it received a number of various attributes, e.g. a bed of carrots.

Mill Spring

From the 16th century it is used for a spa treatment, mainly for baths. You could buy water from the favourite spring almost in every Czech pharmacy.

Rusalka Spring

The spring was at the time in favour to Mill spring. The spring had its own colonnade New spring, later rebuilt and renamed to Mill Colonnade.

Prince Wenceslas Spring I.

Water from this spring was used to make Carlsbad healing salt. At the end of 18th century it could compete with Sprudel/Vřídlo. The Prince Václav comes out through two spring vases. Spring I flows directly in the Colonnade, Spring II is in the front of the Colonnade, opposite the place for the orchestra.

Prince Wenceslas Spring II.

Water from this spring was used to make Carlsbad healing salt. At the end of 18th century it could compete with Sprudel/Vřídlo. The Prince Václav comes out through two spring vases. Spring I flows directly in the Colonnade, Spring II is in the front of the Colonnade, opposite the place for the orchestra.

Libuše Spring

Originally called the spring of Elisabeth roses and emerged by merging four small springs.

Rock Spring

Until the year 1845 it stemmed to river Teplá. After the landscaping work, the water was brought to the place where the Mill Colonnade is today.

Market Colonnade

A white wooden colonnade designed by the architects of Fellner and Helmer was originally built provisionally. However, this has been lasted over 130 years and the time does not harm the beauty of the richly carved construction in a Swiss style with a column arcade and a saddle roof. One of the interesting things is a relief of Charles IV depicting a legend of establishment of Karlovy Vary.

Charles IV. Spring

Healing abilities of the spring could contribute to the decision of Emperor Charles IV. to build a spa here. The discovery of Karlovy Vary shows the relief located above the spring. Spring since its discovery (1838) was lost several times and found again. There have made several drills which helped to keep the spring and may be even today prescribed by the spa doctors.

Market Spring

Spring since its discovery (1838) was lost several times and found again. There have made several drills which helped to keep the spring and may be even today prescribed by the spa doctors.

Lower Castle Spring

It gushes out inside of the former Castle Colonnade (today’s Castle Spa), built according to the plans of the Viennese architect Ohmann. Behind the spring vase is a sandstone relief showing the “spirit of springs”.

Pavilion of the Spring of Freedom

The Spring of Freedom is covered by a pass-through, decorated, octagonal, wooden, column pavilion richly decorated with woodcarving. The pavilion of 1865 is situated on the main promenade and is a frequent stop of the Karlovy Vary´s visitors. You can get there from the Hotel Olympic Palace using a downstairs shortcut.

Freedom Spring

It was discovered in the second half of the 19th century during the building of the Spa III. Its current name is from the end of the World War II. Previously was named the Spa, then bore the name of Emperor Franz Joseph I.

Hot Spring Colonnade

Hot Spring, the largest and the richest curative spring in Karlovy Vary, has been covered by a lot of buildings since the 16 century: a Baroque building, an Empire colonnade, cast-iron or a provisional wooden colonnade. Today it is surrounded by a building of the 1970s., the century of the architect of Jan Otruba. However, there are some efforts to give it back the cast-iron look of 1879.

Hot Spring

The hot spring (Vřídlo) is a symbol of the Carlsbad Spa town. This geyser gushes out on an average 2000 litres of mineral water per minute. Today it is the only source except Castle Spring used for baths. There are 4 drinking water stands of different temperatures in the Vřídlo Colonnade.

Castle Colonnade

Castle Colonnade was opened in 1913. It is divided into two parts. Upper Spring Colonnade is freely available to public and it roofs Castle Upper Spring. Lower Spring Colonnade is only available for clients of The Castle Spa, but Lower Spring Colonnade is also brought for public to Market Colonnade.

Upper Castle Spring

Viennese architect Ohmann took advantage of the interesting idea of the municipal authority to bring a small amount of the spring waters from the lower Castle Spring into the water collection at the level of several meters higher in the Pavilion. Thanks to the higher altitude it has a different temperature and CO2 content. The lower Castle Spring has a temperature of 55 °C, the upper Castle Spring is about 5 °C lower.

Park Colonnade

The richly decorated Sadová kolonáda (Park Colonnade) assembled from cast-iron is the last remnant of the former concert and restaurant hall known as Blanenský Pavilion. It was built according to the design of renowned Viennese architects Ferdinand Fellner and Hermann Helmer between the years 1880 and 1881. The Snake Spring has been brought to the premises of the Park Colonnade in 2001 and the seep of Sadový pramen (Park Spring) is also accessible from the Park Colonnade, namely in the underground premises of Vojenský lázeňský ústav (Army Spa Institution)

Park Spring

In the 19th century it gushed out while digging the base for the Military Spa Establishment. Originaly it was called Emperor´s Spring, later it was named Park Spring thanks to the nearness of Park Colonnade. It runs next to the colonnade and has a temperature of 42 °C.

Snake spring

It rises in Park Colonnade where it was brought within a reconstruction of the colonnade in 2001 and it is the newest Karlovy Vary´s spring. It was called Snake Spring in memory of ring snakes that used to live in a huge number behind colonnades.

Alois Klein´s Pavilion

An octagonal, wooden pavilion in a Swiss style was built in 1997 according to a design made by František Vondráček, ing arch. in the park in front of the Parkhotel Richmond. The pavilion bears the name of the original owner of the convalescent home of Alois Klein. The 14th Karlovy Vary´s mineral spring called Štěpánka rises directly in the pavilion.

Štěpánka Spring

The original water tank from the year 1884 over the time disappeared and in 1993 was found again by drilling in the ground near the Parkhotel Richmond. Spring is not commonly used for spa treatment.

Mill Colonnade

The largest Karlovy Vary´s colonnade, built of stone in the Neo- Renaissance style, was opened in 1881 and covers five mineral springs. The colonnade attic is completed with allegorical statues representing the months of the year. In the past it became a laughing stock and it received a number of various attributes, e.g. a bed of carrots.

Mill Spring

From the 16th century it is used for a spa treatment, mainly for baths. You could buy water from the favourite spring almost in every Czech pharmacy.

Rusalka Spring

The spring was at the time in favour to Mill spring. The spring had its own colonnade New spring, later rebuilt and renamed to Mill Colonnade.

Prince Wenceslas Spring I.

Water from this spring was used to make Carlsbad healing salt. At the end of 18th century it could compete with Sprudel/Vřídlo. The Prince Václav comes out through two spring vases. Spring I flows directly in the Colonnade, Spring II is in the front of the Colonnade, opposite the place for the orchestra.

Prince Wenceslas Spring II.

Water from this spring was used to make Carlsbad healing salt. At the end of 18th century it could compete with Sprudel/Vřídlo. The Prince Václav comes out through two spring vases. Spring I flows directly in the Colonnade, Spring II is in the front of the Colonnade, opposite the place for the orchestra.

Libuše Spring

Originally called the spring of Elisabeth roses and emerged by merging four small springs.

Rock Spring

Until the year 1845 it stemmed to river Teplá. After the landscaping work, the water was brought to the place where the Mill Colonnade is today.

Market Colonnade

A white wooden colonnade designed by the architects of Fellner and Helmer was originally built provisionally. However, this has been lasted over 130 years and the time does not harm the beauty of the richly carved construction in a Swiss style with a column arcade and a saddle roof. One of the interesting things is a relief of Charles IV depicting a legend of establishment of Karlovy Vary.

Charles IV. Spring

Healing abilities of the spring could contribute to the decision of Emperor Charles IV. to build a spa here. The discovery of Karlovy Vary shows the relief located above the spring. Spring since its discovery (1838) was lost several times and found again. There have made several drills which helped to keep the spring and may be even today prescribed by the spa doctors.

Market Spring

Spring since its discovery (1838) was lost several times and found again. There have made several drills which helped to keep the spring and may be even today prescribed by the spa doctors.

Lower Castle Spring

It gushes out inside of the former Castle Colonnade (today’s Castle Spa), built according to the plans of the Viennese architect Ohmann. Behind the spring vase is a sandstone relief showing the “spirit of springs”.

Park Colonnade

The richly decorated Sadová kolonáda (Park Colonnade) assembled from cast-iron is the last remnant of the former concert and restaurant hall known as Blanenský Pavilion. It was built according to the design of renowned Viennese architects Ferdinand Fellner and Hermann Helmer between the years 1880 and 1881. The Snake Spring has been brought to the premises of the Park Colonnade in 2001 and the seep of Sadový pramen (Park Spring) is also accessible from the Park Colonnade, namely in the underground premises of Vojenský lázeňský ústav (Army Spa Institution)

Park Spring

In the 19th century it gushed out while digging the base for the Military Spa Establishment. Originaly it was called Emperor´s Spring, later it was named Park Spring thanks to the nearness of Park Colonnade. It runs next to the colonnade and has a temperature of 42 °C.

Snake spring

It rises in Park Colonnade where it was brought within a reconstruction of the colonnade in 2001 and it is the newest Karlovy Vary´s spring. It was called Snake Spring in memory of ring snakes that used to live in a huge number behind colonnades.

Hot Spring Colonnade

Hot Spring, the largest and the richest curative spring in Karlovy Vary, has been covered by a lot of buildings since the 16 century: a Baroque building, an Empire colonnade, cast-iron or a provisional wooden colonnade. Today it is surrounded by a building of the 1970s., the century of the architect of Jan Otruba. However, there are some efforts to give it back the cast-iron look of 1879.

Hot Spring

Vřídlo je symbolem karlovarských lázní. Tento gejzír vydá za minutu průměrně 2000 litrů minerální vody. Dnes je kromě Zámeckého pramene jediným pramenem využívaným ke koupelím. V prostoru kolonády je umístěno celkem 5 pitných stojanů s vodou o různých teplotách.

Pavilion of the Spring of Freedom

The Spring of Freedom is covered by a pass-through, decorated, octagonal, wooden, column pavilion richly decorated with woodcarving. The pavilion of 1865 is situated on the main promenade and is a frequent stop of the Karlovy Vary´s visitors. You can get there from the Hotel Olympic Palace using a downstairs shortcut.

Freedom Spring

It was discovered in the second half of the 19th century during the building of the Spa III. Its current name is from the end of the World War II. Previously was named the Spa, then bore the name of Emperor Franz Joseph I.

Castle Colonnade

Castle Colonnade was opened in 1913. It is divided into two parts. Upper Spring Colonnade is freely available to public and it roofs Castle Upper Spring. Lower Spring Colonnade is only available for clients of The Castle Spa, but Lower Spring Colonnade is also brought for public to Market Colonnade.

Upper Castle Spring

Viennese architect Ohmann took advantage of the interesting idea of the municipal authority to bring a small amount of the spring waters from the lower Castle Spring into the water collection at the level of several meters higher in the Pavilion. Thanks to the higher altitude it has a different temperature and CO2 content. The lower Castle Spring has a temperature of 55 °C, the upper Castle Spring is about 5 °C lower.

Alois Klein´s Pavilion

An octagonal, wooden pavilion in a Swiss style was built in 1997 according to a design made by František Vondráček, ing arch. in the park in front of the Parkhotel Richmond. The pavilion bears the name of the original owner of the convalescent home of Alois Klein. The 14th Karlovy Vary´s mineral spring called Štěpánka rises directly in the pavilion.

Štěpánka Spring

The original water tank from the year 1884 over the time disappeared and in 1993 was found again by drilling in the ground near the Parkhotel Richmond. Spring is not commonly used for spa treatment.

Parks and gardens

Parks and gardens

Dvořákovy sady

Dvořák´s Park

The town´s park was created thanks to a majestic plan of a garden architect Jan Hahmann in 1878, when he got platans, oaks, maples and elms planted and added some paths, water seclusion and flower beds. In 1974 the park was rearranged and called in honour of a composer Antonín Dvořák, who is reminded by a monument created by Karel Kuneš, a sculptor. There are two hundred year old memorable trees: Park platan with the girth of 452 cm and Dvořák´s platan with the girth of 472 cm.

Smetanovy sady

Smetana´s Park

A Pseudo-Baroque complex of Elisabeth Baths with a fountain with a nude of a girl in front of it dominates the park that is called after a composer Bedřich Smetana. A four- row alley of shaped lime trees creating green walls go towards the front façade of the spa building. At the beginning of the park there is a flower bed in whose centre they create the present date every morning. The paths in the park are lined by rows of benches, inviting to a pleasant rest.

Mozartův park

Mozart´s Park

In 1913 at the place of the former cemetery there was built a public municipal park, later called Mozart´s Park. In the area of the park there are some Empire and Biedermeier stone tombs of 18th and 19th centuries of some important persons connected to Karlovy Vary preserved , for example Franz Xaver Wolfgang Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart´s son, or a spa doctor David Becher.

Japonská zahrada

Japanese Garden

The Japanese zen meditative garden was built in 1998 according to a design made by a Japanese garden architect doc. Kanji Nomura. The garden was created in honour of dr. Erwin von Bälz, who helped to set the basis of modern medicine in Japan. The garden on the round ground symbolizes principles of jing and jang. White grit represents the sea between Eastern and Western hemisphere, in the middle there is a stone of the Good connecting the East and the West that rises high.

Dvořák´s Park

The town´s park was created thanks to a majestic plan of a garden architect Jan Hahmann in 1878, when he got platans, oaks, maples and elms planted and added some paths, water seclusion and flower beds. In 1974 the park was rearranged and called in honour of a composer Antonín Dvořák, who is reminded by a monument created by Karel Kuneš, a sculptor. There are two hundred year old memorable trees: Park platan with the girth of 452 cm and Dvořák´s platan with the girth of 472 cm.

Smetana´s Park

A Pseudo-Baroque complex of Elisabeth Baths with a fountain with a nude of a girl in front of it dominates the park that is called after a composer Bedřich Smetana. A four- row alley of shaped lime trees creating green walls go towards the front façade of the spa building. At the beginning of the park there is a flower bed in whose centre they create the present date every morning. The paths in the park are lined by rows of benches, inviting to a pleasant rest.

Mozart´s Park

In 1913 at the place of the former cemetery there was built a public municipal park, later called Mozart´s Park. In the area of the park there are some Empire and Biedermeier stone tombs of 18th and 19th centuries of some important persons connected to Karlovy Vary preserved , for example Franz Xaver Wolfgang Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart´s son, or a spa doctor David Becher.

Japanese Garden

The Japanese zen meditative garden was built in 1998 according to a design made by a Japanese garden architect doc. Kanji Nomura. The garden was created in honour of dr. Erwin von Bälz, who helped to set the basis of modern medicine in Japan. The garden on the round ground symbolizes principles of jing and jang. White grit represents the sea between Eastern and Western hemisphere, in the middle there is a stone of the Good connecting the East and the West that rises high.

Museums, sights and churches

Museums, sights and churches

Chrám sv. Petra a Pavla

Chrám sv. Petra a Pavla

Byzantující pravoslavný kostel sv. Petra a Pavla byl vystavěn v letech 1893 – 1898 v tehdy vznikající výstavní vilové čtvrti Westend, ve které se nachází i náš hotel. Vzorem stavby byl byzantsko-staroruský chrám v Ostankinu nedaleko Moskvy. Bohatě zdobený byzantující pravoslavný chrám na půdorysu řeckého kříže je završen pěti pozlacenými kupolemi. Potřebné finance na stavbu kostela byly získány díky sbírce mezi zámožnou srbskou a ruskou lázeňskou klientelou a šlechtou.

Kostel sv. Máří Magdalény

Kostel sv. Máří Magdalény

Původně středověký gotický kostel byl postaven již ve 14. století. Po demolici byl v roce 1736 otevřen vrcholně barokní děkanský chrám svaté Máří Magdalény od významného českého architekta Kiliána Ignáce Dientzenhofera. V podzemí chrámu stojí za pozornost unikátní pohřební krypta původního gotického kostela, ve které jsou uloženy kosterní pozůstatky ze zrušeného hřbitova.

Zámecká věž

Zámecká věž

Zámecká věž pod naším hotelem je pozůstatkem gotického hrádku, který nechal vystavět císař Karel IV. kolem roku 1358. V roce 1766 byla věž po dalším požáru doplněna arkádovým ochozem, ze kterého byli slavnostně vítáni fanfárami významní hosté lázeňského města. Později se odtud každoročně slavnostně zahajovala lázeňská sezóna. V roce 1911 byl ke skále pod Zámeckou věží přistavěn výtah podle projektu Friedricha Ohmanna, autora secesní Zámecké kolonády.

Sklářské muzeum Moser

Sklářské muzeum Moser

Hledáte nezapomenutelný zážitek? Pak je pro Vás exkurze sklárny v Karlových Varech to pravé! Provedeme Vás kouzelným světem luxusního křišťálového skla Moser. Zažijete pravou atmosféru výroby skla, ucítíte vůni vypalovaných dřevěných forem, dýchne na Vás více než 155-letá atmosféra historie sklárny Moser. Jedinečný zážitek můžete završit nákupem v prodejní galerii v Karlových Varech. Objevte s námi jedinečný křišťálový svět skla Moser!

Jan Becher muzeum

Jan Becher muzeum

Jan Becher Muzeum je přímo na místě bývalé továrny na Steinberkách, kde Becherovka více než sto let pramenila. Původní továrnu dal roku 1867 vystavět zakladatel Jan Becher. Během prohlídky navštívíte některé z původních výrobních a sklepních prostor, zhlédnete unikátní film natočený pro Becherovku bratry Cabanovými a ochutnáte několik specialit z muzejního baru. Na závěr můžete navštívit muzejní prodejnu a zakoupit si Becherovku, případně jinou lahev z širokého sortimentu firmy.

Cathedral of St. Peter and Paul

Byzantine Orthodox Church of Saint Peter and Paul was erected in the years of 1893 – 1898 in the then newly emerging exclusive residential quarter of Westend where our hotel is also situated. The model for the building was the Byzantine – old Russian Cathedral in Ostankin near Moscow. Richly decorated Byzantine Orthodox Cathedral on the ground plan of a Greek cross has five gilded cupolas on the top. The needed money for building the church was raised in a collection of wealthy Serbian and Russian spa clients and aristocracy.

St. Mary Magdalene Church

An originally medieval Gothic church was built in the 14th century. After demolition in 1736 the High Baroque dean´s Cathedral of St. Mary Magdalene by an important Czech architect Kilián Ignác Dientzenhofer opened. In the underground of the cathedral there is a unique burial crypt of the original Gothic church in which there are skeletal remains from the cancelled cemetery placed. It is worth seeing.

Jan Becher Museum

Jan Becher Museum is situated directly at the place of a former factory in Steinberky, where Becherovka rose more than one hundred years. The original factory was built by the founder Jan Becher in 1867. During the excursion you will visit some of original production and cellar premises, you will watch a unique film made for Becherovka by the Caban brothers and you will taste some specialities from the museum bar. Finally, you can visit the museum shop and buy some Becherovka, possibly another bottle from a wide range of the firm.

Castle Tower

The Castle Tower below our hotel is a remainder of a Gothic castle that was built by the Emperor Charles IV around 1358. In 1766 after another fire the tower was completed by an arcade peristyle from which important spa guests of Karlovy Vary were ceremonially welcomed by fanfares. Later, every year the spa season was ceremonially opened from this place. In 1911 a lift built according to a project by Friedrich Ohmann, the author of the Art Nouveau Castle Colonnade, was added to a rock below the Castle Tower.

Glass-making Museum of Moser

Are you looking for an unforgettable experience? Then the excursion of a glass factory in Karlovy Vary is the right thing! We will show you round the magic world of luxurious crystal glass of Moser. You will experience the right atmosphere of a glass production, you will smell the nice aroma of burnt wooden forms, you will feel more than 155-year-old atmosphere of history of a glass factory of Moser. You can finish this unique experience by shopping in a selling gallery in Karlovy Vary. Explore a unique crystal glass world of Moser with us!

Views and towers

Views and towers

Vyhlídka Jelení skok

A View of Deer Jump (Jelení Skok)

Apparently the oldest lookout construction in the spa town is a wooden pavilion on the rock next to Jelení skok (Deer Jump) directly above the centre of Karlovy Vary. The pavilion was built in 1804 by Mr. Mayer, a native of Karlovy Vary and a rich Viennese businessman, after whom the Mayer´s gloriet is named as well. An octagonal wooden view pavilion is created by eight simple wooden collumns that bear a high pyramidal tinned roof on an octagonal base. The pavilion is completed by wooden railings between the columns and benches.

Rozhledna Diana

View Tower Diana

A local hill with a wonderful view rising above the spa town was discovered for tourism by Václav Drumm, Karlovy Vary´s cutler, who together with his uncle, a chronicler August Leopold Stöhr, cut the way through the forest and placed two relaxing seats on the top of the hill. The guidebooks of the whole 19th century promoted this place as the best lookout of the town. The tourists had to climb the steep hill until the beginning of the 20th century. A cable railway up the hill was built in 1909. A modern electric lift became part of the stone view tower.

Vyhlídka Tři kříže

Lookout of Three Crosses (Tři kříže)

Around 1640 three big wooden crosses as a symbol of biblical Golgotha were erected on the top of the Three Cross Hill as an expression of a successful re-catholization of the town and the surroundings. In the surroundings a concrete gutter of an unfinished funicular, basis of the upper station and ruins of other constructions are preserved until today. In 2000 a wooden view pavilion was built on the roof of a post-war concrete military lookout in front of the Three Crosses, but the pavilion was destroyed by vandals in 2003. A new stronger pavilion according to a project by Ivan Štros, ing. arch. comes from 2006.

A View of Deer Jump

Apparently the oldest lookout construction in the spa town is a wooden pavilion on the rock next to Jelení skok (Deer Jump) directly above the centre of Karlovy Vary. The pavilion was built in 1804 by Mr. Mayer, a native of Karlovy Vary and a rich Viennese businessman, after whom the Mayer´s gloriet is named as well. An octagonal wooden view pavilion is created by eight simple wooden collumns that bear a high pyramidal tinned roof on an octagonal base. The pavilion is completed by wooden railings between the columns and benches.

View Tower Diana

A local hill with a wonderful view rising above the spa town was discovered for tourism by Václav Drumm, Karlovy Vary´s cutler, who together with his uncle, a chronicler August Leopold Stöhr, cut the way through the forest and placed two relaxing seats on the top of the hill. The guidebooks of the whole 19th century promoted this place as the best lookout of the town. The tourists had to climb the steep hill until the beginning of the 20th century. A cable railway up the hill was built in 1909. A modern electric lift became part of the stone view tower.

Lookout of Three Crosses

Around 1640 three big wooden crosses as a symbol of biblical Golgotha were erected on the top of the Three Cross Hill as an expression of a successful re-catholization of the town and the surroundings. In the surroundings a concrete gutter of an unfinished funicular, basis of the upper station and ruins of other constructions are preserved until today. In 2000 a wooden view pavilion was built on the roof of a post-war concrete military lookout in front of the Three Crosses, but the pavilion was destroyed by vandals in 2003. A new stronger pavilion according to a project by Ivan Štros, ing. arch. comes from 2006.

Hotel Olympic Palace

Get to know all about your stay

  • Amadeus RestaurantAmadeus Restaurant
  • Hera Spa CenterHera Spa Center
  • Sebastian Lobby BarSebastian Lobby Bar
  • Apollo WellnessApollo Wellness
  • Kids ClubKids Club
  • Karlovy VaryKarlovy Vary
  • Aphrodite BeautyAphrodite Beauty

Pin It on Pinterest